Anyone who is inspired to partake in a challenging course such as the Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP), or Licensed Penetration Tester-Master (LPT (Master)), knows that practice makes you a better hacker. Vulnhub is a great resource to find purpose-built virtual machine images to practice on. This image is based on a popular TV show, and we are going to walk through exploiting it together.
In the world of hackers, there are both good and bad. There are also some that are somewhere in-between on the spectrum. When you look at the entire rainbow of hacker hat colors, you will find that there are many variations at work in the modern world of technology.
Over the decades, cybercrime has evolved, branching out into many strains. There are black hat hackers – (the criminally motivated). crackers, (those breaking into systems to steal information), hacktivists, (infiltrators of computer systems to use them as platforms for public movements), and script kiddies, defined by WiseGeek.com as “teenagers who use readily available tools written by experienced hackers to deface websites or break into computer systems, usually done for peer recognition and attention.”
Black hats vs white hats may sound like a spaghetti Western or a Parisian fashion show, but actually they make a clever way to distinguish between criminals who bypass computer systems for nefarious purposes and computer specialists who try to stop them.
Armitage (Metasploit GUI) makes hacking easy. All you need is a vulnerable target and a working exploit in Metasploit. The “Hail Mary” tries all potential exploits against a target, requiring you to know next to nothing about the vulnerabilities or exploits.
Connect with Us
Interested in our cybersecurity training or services? Complete the form below and we’ll get back with you right away. We appreciate your interest.
- The State of Ransomware 2020
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month: 6 Things to Practice During the Month
- Cybersecurity Checklist for Business Closures, Consolidations, and Acquisitions
- What Is DevSecOps?
- Cybersecurity and a Remote Workforce: What Does the Future Look Like?
- 6 Penetration Testing Trends to Have on Your Cybersecurity Radar
- Incorporating Privacy and Security by Design into MedTech
- What is the Difference Between CMMC, DFARS, and NIST 800-171?
- At Risk: Medical Device Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Expose Patients to Life-threatening Consequences
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Fractional CISO
- Why Private Cybersecurity Training Matters for Your Organization
- Is the CEH Certification Right For You?
- Internal Penetration Test vs Vulnerability Assessment: Which is Right for You?
- Best Beginner Cybersecurity Certification to Get
- Penetration Testing for Compliance: The Top 5 Laws and Regulations that Require Testing